Tuesday, January 15, 2008

This is Tripoli in January

I'm in the Libyan capital on business. I was gentily approaching this trip for a variety of reasons, mostly it took sooooo long to get a visa and it was difficult to arrange a hotel. But things opened up considerably overthe lastcouple of months or my companies in-country group got better at figuring out how to book rooms. Regardless, I have been pleasantly surprised by Tripoli.

As usual most of my trip is spent in conference rooms and hotels so there's little time to explore. Yesterday, I did get out for a walk for lunch. This is the view in the regular neighborhood. Not bad, eh? Well the weather is much better than in London at this moment, so that's a plus. The infrastructure is really hurting for a variety of reasons: lack of cash from embargo, insufficent planning and god knows what else. The people I've met have been really great, eager to help sort me out and very friendly. So I guess the jury is out but I encourage a visit. Did I mention the whole country is dry? no alcohol, none, nada.

2 comments:

jenifer lake said...

libya? what?! ha, i love checking in and i'm all....hey bob, sian's in LIBYA! :)

Anonymous said...

same here...! I'm thinking, hey, I haven't any responses to my emails in a few days, wonder what Sian is doing? globe-jogging!