Monday, May 28, 2007

Ironmongery

I am struck, as I walk around in the UK, by the real investment in fences and doors. Its called ironmongery and its like wrought (sp?) iron at home. There is not much of it anymore in the US - at least where I'm from in Florida. There's some in the spanish/cuban influenced areas like Ybor City in Tampa or possibly on balconies in New Orleans but I cannot think of a modern development that has such beautiful metal work.

This gate is from an old school yard and I really thought the pattern was beautiful. You get the security and beauty at th esame time. Much more successfull than chain link fence with barbed wire across the top which seems to be the default method of security in my home land.

On th eother hand domestic fences are really bad here in the UK, when it stops rainging I'll get out and take some pictures of that. So maybe its just that commercial fences are better and budgeted for with longevity in mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the wrought iron as well. There is a man around the corner that is a welder and creates "found art". He collects these huge iron pieces, wheels, fence parts,& lots of things that I have no idea what they are. It is always interesting to go by his house.