Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Terrible news

An old Emory friend was killed yesterday in Afghanistan. Thor Hesler was killed when Taliban rushed into an expat heavy hotel with grenades and guns. Its very odd to think he's gone. I got an email from a friend in the US yesterday while they were still saying "an American" had been killed. I wrote back to my friend asking if it could possibly be a mistake. The answer is no, Thor was that American.

Thor had been in hot spots all around the world and spinning tales of his travels in yearly letters to his friends. December's missive was as usual great reading.

Not much you can say when someone dies like this; but its on my mind and I'm far away from home so I wrote it down.

1 comment:

jenifer lake said...

oh sian, i'm sorry to read this, how difficult.