Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tough life day 4


Tough life day 4
Originally uploaded by sillewellyn.

Wednesday night

OK, I am officially tired of eating alone. The maitre d' lady now says, "Only one?" in a perky voice now. Yes, I answer, no luck yet finding a dinner partner. After my fifth meal eating alone--I mercifully had lunch with two Mancunians yesterday--I have discovered all sorts of interesting things. I think it would be worse to be eating in one of those painful couples who don't seem to have anything to say to each other. It just looks so bleak. Eating by yourself can be kind of fun. A) you get to eat what ever you want, b) you always get the smarmiest waiters and c) you can read a book and it's not rude.

So I'm over the eating alone thing but I may not be able to take another buffet. I am starting to appreciate that the tactic for a buffet is to avoid all meat and go for salads as they don't really go stiff on you as they sit out. Soups are also good. Fruit salad is another winner. Let me tell you in Egypt the coffee is good so I recommend that.

Tonight after dinner I went for a walk to the beach — well really the ocean front. It's not so much a beach as a rocky outcropping. Still very hot, had a nice little sit down on a racking chair perched above the sea. A bit like sitting in a hairdryer, very dry hot wind rushing around you but with the sounds of the waves lapping at the shore. Didn't smell like the sea, no screaming seagulls, no strange sea life on the shore. Sort of like a big pool really. I think I may need to arrange for a snorkel to get up closer to the actual water.

Ack, no connectivity on the blackberry do I worry or not? I decide that the world will go on without me.

No comments: