Saturday, December 06, 2008

International Assignee

Just got an email from the parent company of my company (long story) but the gist of it is that as an International Assignee I must choose my 2009 Benefits, you know healthcare and 401K and etc. So its that time of year again, fine. This post is really about the term "international assignee." Its sort of like "resident alien" which is what my Mum and Brother are in the US, here they say you have "indefinite leave to stay." I am always struck by our ability to make up amazing names for things. Its not just the cultural difference of names but how people react to them.

I work for a company that is based in the US but is getting a much larger presence outside the US - so the distinction between domestic and foreign is really a bit strange right now. Technically domestic is here in the UK and foreign is outside the UK because technically we are a plc registered here in the UK and wholly-owned by a US parent which is in turn owned by another US parent. I have been known to get memo requests -- created on letter size paper (aka 8.5x11 inches) which won't print in my A4 world -- asking me for breakdowns of sales in terms of domestic and global clients. What we call "foreign" here in UK would be "global" in the US.

What do you think - foreign or global? and is it a good or bad thing to be an International Assignee?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beats being an illegal alien like Uli:)

Just caught up with you - great to hear about you. Kidding about Uli, of course.