Friday, December 12, 2008

Day Two and Three, Warsaw and Prague



Since I'm doing this after the fact lets just pretend this is Tuesday last week. I flew from London to Warsaw on Monday, met up with my fellow business folks and went to the Warsaw office met some great people - saw some cool work and had an amazing lunch at a restaurant that served traditional Polish food, U Kucharzy. My wonderful hosts took us there. Wed did not have the famous dish - steak Tartare; but the pirogues were excellent and it was great to watch the chefs. Short walk around the town and then back to the office for more meetings.

Fly that night to Prague, where we once again check into the Marriott. Second night in Central Europe, second night in a Marriott, I swear it was the same room, just different colour schemes. But very well located just outside the old town square so I had a brisk walk before bedtime to enjoy the lights and wonderful architecture. Prague has always been one of my favourite cities even in the dark and freezing cold. I am really struck by how different Warsaw and Prague are. Warsaw was basically destroyed during the WWII and then trashed again during Spring Uprising. Many of the old buildings are rebuilt copies of what stood there before. Significant portions of Prague remained relatively unscathed in the physical architectural sense. My Warsaw hosts said if I wanted to really see what Poland was like before 1940's I should visit Krakow. Must book that flight.

Next day, we head to another office, see another set of projects and meet lots of people all good. Another walk through the city back to the office - another plane ride to arrive at Bucharest at 00:15.

No comments: