Monday, March 26, 2007

Coffee tardis and Porridge bar

I'm not sure how to explain this to y'all. But for a country where its bloody freezing most of the time' there are an awful lot of outside food vendors in the UK. These two happen to be from my recent farmers market collection.

Picture number one is a red tardis from the science fiction series on BBC, Dr. Who. It stands for Time and Relative Dimensions in Space and its shape is based on some sort of police box. I have no idea what the tie-in with coffee is but it seems to be workingbecasue I saw more than one of these. My Dad (AKA Male Parental Unit) has been a huge Dr. Who fan for years. So this food distribution access point is published for him.

The second picture is of Stoats' Porridge Bar. Another oddity, people in the UK (or in this case specifically Scotland) will stand in line to buy porridge with various toppings. I haven't discovered the difference between porridge (UK) and oatmeal (US); I think it may be the same thing. Its just that in the US, we eat oatmeal ONLY at home and only when its super cold out; here it seems to be considered a tasty treat to be enjoyed by the whole family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

let me just tell you that new posts on your blog just make my day. Because of it, places I never even thought of before, I now love and, not only want to visit, but live there.
Can we come for a visit? All 5 of us? We don't want to see the museums, we want to see a vegetable/coffee shop, a chair in the library, some funky signs, and a place called chickenspittle or the like.

Rachella said...

What about peas porridge? Have you tried it yet?

Sian said...

Ali, y'all are always welcome - only one extra bedroom though so the kids will have to puppy-pile in the living room, but you are close to most of the places I mention because i don't stray far.

Rachella, is that mushy peas? I really don't get that - at all.

jenifer lake said...

i always envisioned porridge like cream of wheat. huh. whaddyahknow?