Monday, August 13, 2007

My first celebrity sighting

OK, I was just reviewing my last posts and realised I need to inject a little humanity and humour into the blog. So here goes, on Sunday I had my first celebrity sighting (is that the correct way to spell siting/citing? must be, with a "C" I would be referring to it, right? update - thanks Marcia, OF COURSE its sighting - duh!) I digress, I live in a very posh neighborhood - well beyond my means (its an apartment that belongs to a friend, thanks, Virg). When I tell folks where I live they usually make some sort of comment about the neighborhood. Usually followed by, "have you ever seen any celebrities?"

Now there is two things wrong with that question 1) I don't know many British celebrities because they have many different ones than Americans do, so I'm only just beginning to catch on and 2) I'm mostly not looking for celebrities so even if I knew them I probably wouldn't realise they were celebs until much later.

However, dear reader, on Sunday I actually twigged to a celeb siting in real time! It was in a book store, I was down on my hands and knees trying to find a copy of Raymond Chandler's "The Long Goodbye" since I had been previously thwarted in my attempt to purchase the new Peter L. Bernstein book, "Capital Ideas Evolved" - not out in UK yet - drat you John Wiley and Sons. See how erudite I am? But the point is I'm groveling on the floor in the Waterstone's, when I hear a voice I recognise. Odd, I think to myself, I'm in a country where I know almost no one and I recognise a voice? So of course I squirm around to see who it is and its Russel Brand, easily recognisable because he has a giant bird's nest of hair and is dressed all in black.

Those of you who are regular readers (or who cleverly followed the link), know that Mr. Brand is a comedian who I wrote about in January because he was seriously over exposed and I was fascinated - so its funny that I would have this celeb encounter.

OK, so encounter is kind of a big word for realising I knew the voice, turning around and recognising him, catching his eye, then turning away in embarrassment. Why embarrassment? I have no idea, I guess I thought he should be able to do his book shopping in peace and I was bordering on gawking. So I left him to his shopping took my book to the counter, paid and took it home - celeb sighting over.

BTW, the Raymond Chandler book rocks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

niiice, and you are so erudite, it's one of the things I love about you. and that was a sighting...not a site as in site plan or a cite as in citation.

Rachella said...

Hey Sian-

Thanks for the tip on the Taco/Burrito Truck. I will drop you a line next time I'm in the neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

I had a celb. sighting along time ago...highschool. We had done the decorations for the Artist and Writers Ball in Ybor city, and we were invited to attend. I was standing there taken it all in when I noticed this guy standing next to me who seemed pretty drunk. Part of the reason I noticed he was because he was drunk but the other reason was because he looked just like Jimmy Buffet. So, I say to him, "you know you look just like Jimmy Buffet!" He laughs and says thank you. The next week at school we are discussing the ball and my art teacher says, "did you guys see Jimmy Buffet?"