Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Who knew rhubarb was red?

More pictures from the market day. Proving once again that I don't eat enough vegetables, I took this picture because I didn't know rhubarb was red - or, frankly, that it looked so much like celery.

My only experience of rhubarb is reading about its poisonous leaves and as an ingredient in pies. Its the pie thing that makes it so confusing. A) Isn't it a vegetable? so B) why is it in fruit pies? and C) since its usually with a red fruit I always though it was being dyed in the pie. Not that it was actually red itself.

the things you learn by moving to another country. My mother reads this blog and she's going to be upset that I told the world I didn't know rhubarbs are red. It is really fine, Mum, I know a lot of other really important stuff!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't know it was red, and I thought it was a fruit - so we're even. We always had it in the garden when I was growing up, and we used to have it for dessert - stewed rhubarb and custard. Yum!

Anonymous said...

- and your father's contribution on the rhubarb topic is to remind you that
"you can lead a horse to water but a rhubarb must be forced"

jenifer lake said...

and you are already calling her 'mum'? or did you always?! i love that color red - i actually thought it was green & red...