Friday, September 29, 2006

The container has holes in it

This was the container that is supposed to take my worldly goods across the ocean. It pulled up about an hour ago. Luckily my moving guy, checked it out and discovered it had a rather large hole in the roof. Not a good thing in a container, apparently.

What is supposed to happen is that that the 130 boxes which contain my household goods gets loaded in this box (known as a "20") which is then put on train, which travels to Houston, where it is put on a rather large ship, when then travels across the Atlantic and arrives in Southampton, when it clears customs then trains or trucks up to London and the leafy suburb of Hempstead, where the moving company will unload it in about six weeks time. However, this particular 20 has a hole in the roof and it is therefore rejected.

After some discussion the moving guy decides to load the 130 boxes onto his truck and take them to the warehouse--where they will transfer all of them to a more acceptable, non-holey container. Then the trip described above can take place. Without holes, I have great faith that my stuff will arrive in pristine condition. These guys really know how to pack!

Just a postscript, as I was clearing up after the truck with my stuff in it left, the container guy pulled up with another container. So perhaps my faith in my stuff arriving is a bit misplaced... I'll tell you how it all works out in six weeks!

No comments: