Monday, September 18, 2006

Need to cross the ocean

It is kind of crazy making, getting ready to move yourself and your household possessions to another country. First as my friend Lance said you have to decide if that object (book, coffee mug, what have you) really "needs to cross an ocean." That's an interesting way to consider all your stuff. Kind of like that game where you imagine your house is on fire and wonder what you would take as you ran out the door; only you have a couple of months to ponder.

I've decided to take the stereo, though I was dreaming of a new one. But the electric toothbrush, the hair dryer, the coffee maker? They are all at the sale. Sofa - at the sale; bike rack for car - sale; car - sale; strange loud colored pillow - sale. This turns out to be easier than I thought.

SELL IT ALL.

I'll have better taste when I move to England. So obviously, I will do Lance proud and throw off the chains of unbridled possessiveness and take hardly anything, because really most things really don't "need to cross the ocean."

No comments: