Thursday, November 09, 2006

Garage Blobitecture

Walking through Guy's Hospital last week, I noticed this funny cladding for a garage and substation. Its still under construction so you can see the square panels as they are fitting them into place. The end result is not bad, its better from the street than your run of the mill parking structure/electrical substation eyesore.

I have no idea about the expense, so I don't know if its easily replicated. The again I don't know if I would want a whole group of parking decks/electrical substations all suddenly coated in blobitecture. I suppose if its a one-off design its pretty expensive, on the other hand in the little-ish streets of Bermondsey, the elegant wavy shape is very cool to walk by. I cannot wait to see it fully constructed, I'll post another picture then.

2 comments:

Rachella said...

While I've never eaten at the Harrod's food halls (There never seems to be anywhere to sit!), I have to admit that the idea of Crispy Kreme lures me down there. I get fed up and leave when I see the crowds, though. Is there ever a time when that place is not crazy busy?

There are also Krispy Creme outposts at Selfridges, Canary Wharf & Victoria station.

Sian said...

R - I heard from a friend that there is now one in Oxford - now that's really wrong!